Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Purification

I started this post with the intention of making assurances that all is well. That after I got everything off my chest that I was OK. Well, maybe I am OK, but maybe what "OK" means isn't necessarily that I am not free from feeling depression, or spending time contemplating where I'm at right now in my life.

What I have been thinking about is about the refining process. How turning up the heat, just to the right temperature, will purify molten metal and bring impurities to the surface. One degree hotter and the metal is ruined. One degree lower and the purification will not happen. I think that what I am experiencing right now is exactly what I am supposed to be experiencing. The things hidden deep within me that I didn't realize were there are rising to the surface, where they can be identified, dealt with, and discarded.

I was talking with a friend tonight about how I mentioned experiencing depression in my previous post (against my better judgment - I would rather only share my high points) and her only comment was, "well, it's probably time, isn't it." And she may be right. The low points are not to be avoided, but accepted for what they are. I want to thank you all for your encouraging words over the last few days. They are part of the refining, too.

King Solomon, the wisest man in history, said it best:
For everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die.
A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to kill and a time to heal.
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to cry and a time to laugh.
A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
A time to search and a time to quit searching.
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear and a time to mend.
A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate.
A time for war and a time for peace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lisa
Thankyou for also sharing your low points with us. That can't have been easy. Nobody goes through life with only high points. The low points in life help to build our faith. God never gives us more than we can handle, remember? He has a way of restoring us as only He can and brings us out on top. Keep looking up, my child, and relax in God's goodness and grace.
I love you, Mummy

Anonymous said...

i can see why he was the the wisest man in history!!!