Sunday, April 6, 2008

Off Comes the Mask

We live in a "feel-good" culture. If we feel sad, anxious, or depressed, there's a pill for it. We have built an expectation that illness and death are inconveniences that can be conquered by modern medicine. We think material things will make us happy, and we buy them whenever we want, even if we don't have the money.

Grief does not fit in to a "feel-good" culture. So many of the writers of blogs I've visited that are writing about grief and loss express that they struggle to be normal; that they want to be normal women. And it struck me this morning - how did we become a society that couldn't accomodate grief and loss? How did we get to a point where we have rejected the half of ourselves that feels pain and called that normal? We have tried to remove ourselves so far from it that we don't know how to relate to those that can't.

Up until now, I've been the kind of person that could conquer anything by force of will. Even negative emotions. And I couldn't understand those who weren't able to live the same way. Now I'm finally up against something bigger than my will can conquer. I'm no longer capable of "managing" my emotions to appear as someone who is worthy. And to that I say, Thank God! It's been painful, but I've been forced to tear off the mask, the one that I've been wearing for so long I didn't know it was there. What's underneath feels raw and exposed. Vulnerable.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I know what you are saying. To some degree, I wish that our culture had formal procedures for grieving--such as wearing black for a year--not to say that at the end of the year the grief is "over"--but have an unavoidable and undeniable demonstration of my grief that DEMANDS acknowledgment!

Hannah

mom_of_4 said...

Yeah, whatever happened to wearing black for mourning? Good observation, Hannah...

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I envy your ability to recognize what is best for you and sharing it with others. During my second pregnancy people would ask, "Is this your first baby?" and I would say, "yes", because I did not want to explain that I had lost a son. I wanted to both protect the experience by not sharing the information with others, but also worried that by sharing it that my actions would somehow be construed as attention-seeking. Steph