Wednesday, November 26, 2008

This Week

I've been very kind to myself this week. I've treated myself gently; I rested when I was tired, worked when I needed to focus on something, met friends for breakfast when I needed a boost.

I had anticipated that this week may be difficult and arranged to not be at work. I am grateful to have the freedom and consideration to do that. It was good that I did. One of the things I would have never expected about grieving is how much energy it takes.

You know, the week started out as I thought it would. We had just returned from a family weekend getaway, and as Sabrina went off to school and Corrie went off to work, I was home alone with my thoughts. Since this week is a significant anniversary for us, of course last year this time was on my mind. I succumbed to depression.

I feel Nicholas & Olivia's absence in everything. It is something that is always present with me. I think I've reached a point of acceptance where this is just the way things are. But it's things like family weekends where they should have been there, and putting up the Christmas tree, and being reminded of what my little boy went through before he died that make it just too hard to accept some days.

And that's where God rushes in and lifts me up. He carries those things that are too heavy for me to bear. My friends, I speak the absolute truth here. There is no way that a person can suffer unspeakable loss and emerge whole without the saving grace of God. He met me right where I was at and I have been renewed and comforted. The reality of Nicholas' death has been before us every day since November 27, 2007. Tomorrow we will remember our little boy. But we will also honour our journey over this past year and celebrate God's goodness to our family.

3 comments:

sumi said...

HUGS...Lisa, your blog remains one of my favorites simply because you are so honest. I'll be praying for you this week, and in the weeks to come. May Jesus hold you and Corrie and Sabrina extra close.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Lisa.....You are in our thoughts and in our prayers. Love, Mummy

mom_of_4 said...

this is a comment from my mother-in-law originally posted on 11/26/08 on my Facebook link to this post:

hi my children , yoou are in my thoughts and prayers this week as you onc again journey to the past and i want you to know that you are not alone in that journey and i know God will hold our hands and walk with us to make the path a soft and safe place to be.. Nicky too will be with Him and i take great comfort in that ... thankyou Lord for ... Read Moresharing your time with us as we spend the day remembering our precious little boy who came to us to teach us the great importance of your Love for us , and how to show our Love for oneanother..amen....the Lords Love is all around us....love mom