Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Lord, I need Your grace...

Heavenly Father,

Sometimes I don't know what to do with the sad memories, but You do.

I remember the desolation of looking up at Olivia's hospital room window as I left to go home for the evening. I remember weak cries and sweaty foreheads as my babies struggled to breathe. I remember limbs and muscles as limp as noodles. I remember the sound of the cough assist machine and the whooshing sound from Nicholas' BiPAP mask when it came loose. I remember how that mask made his little nose red and raw, too.

I remember standing helpless as a "medical 25" was called for Nicholas in the middle of the night - his tiny body surrounded by medical professionals trying to keep him alive. I remember when my babies would get too uncomfortable to be held. I remember asking for more and more morphine when Olivia was declining and in distress. I remember having to authorize and carry an "advanced care directive" (a "DNR") and a letter for the Medical Examiner & funeral home in case Olivia passed away outside of the hospital.

Oh Lord, I need Your grace...I don't know what to do with the sad memories, but You do. These are things that should not be part of a parent's experience, but You have promised to make beauty of my ashes, to turn my mourning into dancing, to give me double for my former trouble. Father, how grateful I am that I do not have to carry the burden of these memories on my own. I am trusting you to come and be my God of all comfort.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Obviously my painful memories are very different than yours--mine do not involve watching my child(ren) pass from this life to the next. But I do understand the inability to "deal" with painful memories and the way the mind returns to these moments again and again. It can be incapacitating.
Praying for relief and peace, because you're right, our Father does know what to do with those memories and how to use them to His glory.

 The Morris Family said...

Whether we have our twins for a short time or 3 years,(Joel, 1/23/07) it is so very hard! It is a privilege to bear twins as you said, may the Lord give us grace as we both walk through the valley, He is with us!!!!! May the Lord give grace to your heart!!!
Cindy Morris
www.weloveyoujoel.blogspot.com