Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Get Me off My Mind

God can teach us things about ourselves in any life situations that we are willing to see Him. Tonight, I was wrapping presents for family and Sabrina saw some of them before they were wrapped. Her first reaction was to start crying and ask why she wasn't getting anything.

I had to remind her that Christmas was coming and that she would be the recipient of many presents from a number of people, but she would have to wait. She was then skeptical that she would get what she wanted and promptly sat down to write out a list of exactly the things she was expecting to get. I was disappointed that she didn't trust us enough to give her the things her six-year-old heart desires. And in that moment I was pondering these things, the revelation hit me. That is what I look like to God sometimes.

I've been looking around at what everyone else is getting and my first reaction is to cry out to God and ask why can't I have it too? Do I even trust Him at all that He knows the desires of my heart and that my own Christmas is coming at just the right time, even though I can't see it yet? Or am I so focused on me that unless I get exactly what I think I want, that I can never be truly happy?

Now if Sabrina had continued to persist with her selfish attitude, I would be less and less inclined to give her what she wanted and more and more likely to put her in situations where she would be giving instead of receiving until her self-centredness had disappeared in the joy of blessing others. Since she's six, that would be a hard lesson for her right now. But I'm thirty-three and old enough to know better.

I've got to get me off my mind. Christmas is coming and my Father has it all taken care of!

1 comment:

sumi said...

Great post, as always Lisa. Thanks for the reminder that God knows what is on my heart and that he has the generosity to want to share his blessings with me.