Monday, April 20, 2009

Perception as Reality

For now we are looking in a mirror that gives only a dim (blurred) reflection of reality as in a riddle or enigma, but then when perfection comes we shall see in reality and face to face! Now I know in part (imperfectly), but then I shall know and understand fully and clearly, even in the same manner as I have been fully and clearly known and understood by God.
I Corinthians 13:12 (AMP)

To continue in my latest theme of waiting on God and expecting change, I realized the other day that perception indeed is reality, even in relationships. Have you ever been in a place where someone believes something about you, and even when you've changed, you can't do anything for them because of what they believe about you? For example, I never was the most conscientious housekeeper and it has been a slow "training" by my husband to bring me to the point where I can say that I have a neat, clean house most of the time. However, because of the circumstances of where I started and what I have been like, it has been hard for him to make the connection to the habits I have established now. He often cannot see what I have done and usually notices the few things that have not been done.

I wonder if I have been like that with God lately. Am I only seeing what He hasn't done? Is my flawed perception my reality of what God is like? Am I blind to what He is doing in my life because that's not what I think I should be looking for?

No comments: