Monday, April 20, 2009

Forgetting What is Behind

Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:13

I've had this piece of Scripture on my heart now for days. I was at first a little concerned, because I wasn't sure if it was a nudge for me to forget everything that happened and "move on". But what also came to my heart was the reassurance that it was not who but what. And anyway, I can't forget about Nicholas & Olivia because they are not behind, they are eternally present.

So I gave some thought to the word "forget". When I forget something I've got my mind on something else and have lost focus on the thing that was forgotten. Maybe forgetting is less about discarding and more about redirecting focus. The meaning of the Greek implies something that is neglected, or no longer cared for. Anything that you're neglecting or not caring for cannot grow (like my tomato plants by the end of summer). Are there things in my life that need to be neglected so they cannot grow? So that what I am straining toward can bear fruit?

1 comment:

Lisa said...

"Maybe forgetting is less about discarding and more about redirecting focus"

I really like this. I hate the idea of forgetting in order to move on. So many people have told me "it's ok to allow the memories to fade and to forget if it helps you get on with life" That always makes me steam.
To redirect focus is a much better way of putting it... thank you!