Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!

I had considered writing a Christmas letter, but what could I say about the past year that hasn't already been said here? So I thought I would launch a new tradition: a New Year's letter.

I always get excited about a new year, eager to get back into a routine after the hustle and bustle of Christmas, energized by the possibility of new projects and making better what we already have. I don't write New Year's resolutions, because I am usually living in a state of resolution.

Since you can't contemplate where you're heading without looking where you're at, permit me for a moment to reflect. 2008 has been a year of readjusting for our family, coming to terms with what is. We have gone through all the major milestones but one. We are strong. We are at peace. We are close. We are blessed. We are incomplete, but have discovered that a family can span two worlds at the same time and still be a family.

What do I see for 2009? I believe that we will take the gifts given us by our children and use them to their full potential. We will become even closer as a family. We will be wise with the resources that God has given us. We will be better friends. We will focus on the things that matter. We will not waste time on those things that complicate and enslave.

God has been wonderfully good to us, and it is the desire of my heart that we will bless Him with the way we live. 2009 holds so much promise.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11 (NLT)

4 comments:

Misty said...

I am thinking about Psalm 103 today and I think this part applies to you as much as me:

(God)who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.

who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's. (4-5, NIV)

I hope 2009 is truly about the first part for you because I think that you have radiated the first verse this year.

Be blessed my friend,

Misty

mom_of_4 said...

Misty, your words brought tears to my eyes - I believe they were sent right from the heart of God.

Psalm 103 is my favorite! I read it to Nicholas & Olivia over and over when they were in hospital.

Thanks, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Please give eachother hugs from us, and make sure to hug Sabrina three times. Love, Carla

sumi said...

Lisa, I always enjoy reading your blog.

Amen to all that you see happening in your new year! God bless you,

Sumi