Monday, January 5, 2009

If I Knew Then What I Know Now

We are soon coming to a year since our Olivia passed through to the next world, and as I remember the events of her last few days with us, I struggle with bitter regrets.

We were so heartsick, so exhausted, so incapable of comprehending what was happening to our family. I tell myself we did the best we could. If we could have done anything differently, we would have.

Oh, how I wish I knew then what I know now! I would have drawn even deeper on the Lord's strength and wisdom. I would have held her more, sang to her more, read to her more, talked to her more, told her everything I knew. I would have left the safety and support system of the hospital and brought her home.

But what I also know now is grace. I used to think that Jesus' death on the cross was only to make right those things I did wrong. What I know now is that it can also make right the things I didn't do right.

1 comment:

V. said...

I think we might be surprised on the other side when we find out what we thought was "right" was wrong, and what we thought was "wrong" was right.

Don't forget that on this side, we live with a flawed human perspective. God in his all-knowing-ness can cover and perfect our wrongs and our rights, regardless of how they look to us here.

My prayer for you is continued revelation of the heart and mind of Christ. We'll not get all the way there on this side, but as we learn, practice and worship, we will live more unencumbered by our own thoughts.

Missed you this morning...hope it works for you again soon!

V.