Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Rubies

Nicholas & Olivia's birthstone is a ruby. In researching the folklore and meaning of rubies, I found a quote that says "the Ruby's red glow comes from an internal flame that cannot be extinguished, making a gift of this stone symbolic of everlasting love."

It is one of the most highly prized gems in history, considered to have magical powers, and believed to be a talisman against evil.

I cherish the thought that the rubies I now wear, one for Nicholas and one for Olivia, represent everlasting love. They also represent the beauty that is created from really hard circumstances.

My Corrie is a good man, a good husband, and a good father. Not just because it was his delight to give me a gift of "everlasting love", but because it was as important to him as it was to me to have something beautiful and tangible to remember our children to the world.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

I know I treasure my amethyst ring. As you say, it is something tangible to remember our children to the world. I always hope that people will will comment on the ring so that I can tell them about Tabitha. So far, only one woman has, and unfortunately she didn't seem to listen to my response at all. :( But I still loved the rare opportunity to say I have daughter...

Lisa said...

I have two red stones in a necklace given to me in memory of Rachel and Amryn. They hang close to my heart, always- never take it off! I hang on to the stones when I miss them. As with you, Hannah, only one person has asked me about it, and they looked so uncomfortable with my story that I cut it very short. But my friends, family and I know what it means and I love that! Even when our family photo was taken, I felt like they were in the picture too (: