Sunday, February 24, 2008

Book of Life

We had a visit to our geneticist on Friday. I guess not many people can say they have a geneticist; I won't say they're lucky because I rather like mine. And I've learned some interesting things, too. Here's some food for thought - everyone carries within them probably about 4-5 incomplete genes. That means that if you happen to meet a person who carries within them even one of the same incomplete genes as you, you may have a child that ends up with a complete deletion of a gene. Like us.

Anyway, as we were reviewing all our test results, at one point I glimpsed at Olivia's file and there was the word "Deceased" written on it. That is her status here on earth. For a moment I was deeply grieved, and then I stowed it away to ponder later because I wanted to focus on the conversation. Ironically enough, I had written that word beside Nicholas and Olivia's names on some other paperwork I had filled out that same week, and it didn't bother me at the time. I think it's different if I state it that than if someone else does.

Words are powerful things. They can speak life or death over someone. As I've continued to think about what that word "Deceased" meant to me that day, I'm so grateful that it is a word that is limited to our physical life here on earth. Yes, "Deceased" is Nicholas and Olivia's status in the physical world, but in the Book of Life it is written as "Alive Forever!" Here on earth, I exist as a physical being, but I also have the Spirit of God within me. I long for the physical presence of my children but can also have a deep connection with them where they are. How precious is that?

1 comment:

Momma bear said...

is your geneist at children's hosptial? We just atrted seeing one there!!!