Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Olivia's Gift



Because Nicholas and Olivia are twins, I feel compelled to make sure she hasn't been left out. When I think about the two of them, I think of Nicholas as the gift bearer, because he was the first to be diagnosed with a terminal illness, he was the first to become very sick, and he was the first to die. Going through all those firsts with him, not knowing that they were going to be repeated, was what led to the many blessings that I call Nicholas' gift.

Olivia's gift was hope. We had been through the terminal illness and death of a child already and found out that it does not kill you. The hope of good things to come for our family was what sustained us and carries us still. There is comfort in knowing Nicholas and Olivia are together in the arms of Jesus, and we carry in our hearts the hope of being together as a family again in Heaven. The circle is unbroken.

After Nicholas died, we turned our hope toward Olivia. She was our consolation, our saving grace. Once we found out that she was to share the same fate as Nicholas, the Spirit gently reminded me that my hope needed to be in the Lord. My hope is in the Lord and I lean on Him to define it for me.

No comments: